Sunday, October 2, 2011

Any Sin?

Any believer is capable of ANY sin.
If you don't believe that, you don't know the human heart.
True believers repent.
False believers stay in their sin.
(Pastor Bret Capranica, Oct. 2, 2011)

Do you believe you are capable of any sin?
Do I believe I'm capable of any sin?
Any sin? Murder? No way.
Adultery? Not happening.
Violence? Nope, not me.
I couldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. Never.

I know I can steal, cheat, and lie.
I know I can dishonor my parents.
I know I can covet what someone else has.
I know I have idols.
I'll admit the above.
Murder.
Adultery.
Violence.
Rage.
Not guilty.

And then God gently rebukes...
Have you hated?
Yes.
I have hated with every ounce of energy in my body.
Have your mind and heart always belonged solely to your husband?
Hmmm...no comment.
Guilty.

It's possible to have never taken a human life, yet murdered a thousand times in hate.
It's possible to be a virgin with the heart of a harlot.
"If any of you is without sin, cast the first stone." (John 8:7)
I'd have to drop my stone every time.

God knows my heart.
I'm guilty of great sin.
I'm capable of any sin.

God in His graciousness shows us the secret darkness bound up in our hearts.
It's all there. The potential for every sin.
It's waiting for opportunity, weakness, and desire to coincide.
It's waiting for the chance to rear its ugly head to devour.
I've seen it in my life.
I've seen it in the lives of others.
I'll never say "I'll never do that" because I've done some of the things that I knew I'd never do.
I'm the wretch the song is talking about. He "saved a wretch like me."
God knew our need for a Savior.
And He sent One for us before we asked.
He sent His Son to save us from the sins we "knew" we'd never commit.
He saved us before we wanted to be saved.

Our ability to sin is not a barometer by which to judge our salvation.
Believers can fall. True believers can fall.
But...true believers repent. True believers repent.
That's the difference.
Repentance is the difference between life and death. Eternally.

No comments:

Post a Comment