Monday, September 12, 2011

No Greater Joy

A group of moms are praying this week for the salvation of our children. We are also praying that the saving work of Jesus would be evident in those already saved.

In the midst of the hopes and prayers I have for my children, I often get distracted by all the "other" good things I want them to "be." I want them to be gentle. I want them to be humble. I want them to be generous. I want them to be hardworking. I want them to be joyful. I want them to be quick students. I want them to be able to provide someday. I want them to serve. The list goes on and on.

More than any of those "fruits" of the Spirit...more than any success in life...I want them to be saved. I want God to call them. I want God to write their names in the Book of Life. I want God to pursue them and transform them and bring about His work in their life. Go after my kids, Lord! Please, relentlessly pursue my kids! And let it be evident...don't leave me wondering, Lord, if you've called them...if they're living out their faith or living out my faith...let it be evident that they are saved.

All I can do is lay them at the feet of Jesus and pray that He works His work in them.

A year ago I was talking with a group of women about raising children. I said something about understanding 111 John 1:4 better now that I have children. The verse says, "I have no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in the Truth." My heart's deepest desire is to see my children walking in the truth.

A good friend who has walked a rough road with one of her children wisely added, "You know, I'm not sure you totally understand that verse until you have a child not walking in the truth."

That's probably true. There's no greater joy for a Christian than to see our kids walking in the truth of God. I wonder if the opposite is also true. There's no greater pain for a Christian than to watch a beloved child reject the truth.

Wouldn't you love to never fully understand that heartache?

No comments:

Post a Comment