Sunday, December 4, 2011

Rest for My Soul

Psalm 62:1-2 "My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken."

My soul finds rest in God alone.
Maybe that's why I'm shaken. My soul is resting on something not promised to give me rest.

Often I find my soul searching for a place to land. A safe place to rest. Whatever I'm resting on, might give me relief for a while, deluding me into believing that somehow I'm secure. Yet, God graciously shakes and reminds me that only He can provide true rest. True security for my soul.

Where am I resting, Lord? Why am I shaken?

I've tried resting on my husband. That works for a while. A short while.
As much as my husband meets many of my needs, he just wasn't created for me. Just to serve me. Just to make my life easier. Just to worship me. Bummer. Too much resting on my husband leaves both of us weary and empty. Plus, he's leaving in a couple weeks. No resting on him once he's gone. And even if he wasn't leaving, I have no promise that he will be given to me tomorrow. Resting on him will always disappoint.

My soul keeps searching.

My parents. Stable, loving, and secure. I can lean into them and rest. Yet, all around me I find friends faced with the reality that their parents are mortal. They will not live forever. Resting on their support is temporary. It will provide no true longlasting relief to my soul.

The search continues.

Healthy, happy children. Thank you, Jesus. Not a promise. Not a guarantee. Leaning on the blessing of my healthy, loving children is unsustainable. Even as I lean into that one a bit, I find my soul resisting. It knows that there's no promise of tomorrow. I'd love to find a Bible verse that promised me tomorrow with my children, but it's not there. These little ones aren't meant to bear the weight of my soul.

What else? Where else can I rest?

Financial security. There's a job. There's a paycheck. Our needs are met. We have a home, food, clothing. I can't have everything I want, but I can have some things I want. Surely I can rest on this security. Yet, I watch our investments fall and the cost of living rise and recognize that this "pseudo" security is such a facade. It will pass away. It could be taken at any minute.

No wonder my soul's searching. If these "good" things cannot sustain, where can I rest?
Where is there rest for the person who can't cling to any of these other things?

Psalm 63:8 "My soul clings to you; your right hand upholds me."
Psalm 62:1 "My soul finds rest in God alone."

I love the vision of my soul clinging to the Lord.

Sometimes you just have to climb up in His lap and cling to Him.
The true giver of peace. The Only One who is capable of soothing our souls.
Hide in the shadow of His wings and rest in the promise that when all else fades, fails, disappoints, and deploys that He is our fortress that WILL NEVER BE SHAKEN.

What would it feel like if I truly believed that I was resting in a fortress that would never be shaken?
My soul would probably find rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment