Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Good theology

My husband and I spent a minute discussing pre-tribulation vs. post-tribulation theology. A full minute. That minute was too long for me.
"I really don't care about that right now," I said.
"Theological discussions are for those people that aren't struggling with anything else! Theology is a luxury given to the mind that isn't being challenged with something else." I exclaimed.

He sort of reprimanded me that my statement is not entirely true. Okay, I'll give him that. It's not entirely true. But I think it's not entirely false.

Can't you have good theology and not be saved? Can't you have an opinion on Calvinism and Free Will and not be a Christian? Didn't the Pharisees have a lot of good theology? It actually seems to me that the ones that Jesus verbally disciplined the most in the
New Testament were those that cared the most about theology. The ones that others looked to for their sound theology. In their pursuit of theology, they had missed the One that the theology was actually about.

Biblical theology should result from our pursuit of God. Our pursuit should never be simply for good theology.

I mean, really. If you are in the middle of a crisis, do you really care about Calvinism vs. Free Will? You are most likely clinging to the Lord. Hiding in the shadow of His wings. Praying for His peace to surround you. The result of your struggle might lead you to discover God's Sovereignty...His role in disasters...His control over man's affairs...your journey might lead you to a theological position, but that's not the pursuit.

When you are encouraging someone, do you use theology? If you do...let me tell you...that's NOT REALLY VERY ENCOURAGING! Love people...that's how you encourage someone.

I want to know Him. Period. The pursuit of theology should never replace our first love. There might be areas in my theology where I'm not completely sound. God will show me where I'm wrong if it's important. If it's not, I don't want to waste any time discussing it. There's plenty of other things in the Bible I have left to learn. How about the part where we're supposed to "Love the Lord your God with all your heart, your soul, and your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" Matthew 22:37-38. It will take me the rest of my life to learn that one. I don't think it matters as much where I stand on the whole pre-tribulation issue.

That's my story...and I'm sticking to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment